Saturday 11 January 2014

Medical Update


     Most people are familiar with what cancer is physically. It is the loss of hair, the gaining of weight or the removal of a limb. What many people are unaware of is the emotional aspect of cancer. My blog explores my emotional journey with cancer, as a therapeutic way for me to find a little bit of peace in this world full of chaos. I do still want to update you fully on what is going on physically and medically. I was first diagnosed with stage 4 Ewing’s sarcoma on May 31, 2013 at the Grand River emergency room. Because of the location of the tumor, the doctors at Grand River Hospital were reluctant to do a biopsy due to their lack of experience and equipment. They sent my information to Hamilton in hopes of having more experienced doctors there take care of me. I awaited 2 weeks at home from my initial diagnosis to the biopsy. I can safely say that those two weeks were the most painful time of my life. I had a collapsed vertebrae on my spine which caused unimaginable amount of pain. My left leg was so tormenting that I was bedridden and could not move. I had to have my parents carry me to the bathroom. The only thing that got me through those days was the hope that someday, this was all going to be over. In the middle of June, I was finally admitted to the Juravinski Hospital under an amazing doctor, Dr. Tozer. He started me on an intense chemotherapy regiment that consists of vincristine, doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide, ifosfamide and etoposide. The initial CT scan showed the primary tumor, which was around 9cm x 7cm with metastasis to the pelvic bones, spinal vertebras, rib bones, left humerus and to the left lung. After 2.5 rounds of chemotherapy, the primary tumor shrunk to 5cm x 4cm x 6cm, with the metastasis also shrinking. After another 1.5 rounds of chemo, I did another CT scan and this time, the scan showed that the primary tumor had grown by a centimeter. I spoke to Dr.Tozer and we both came to the conclusion that it was best for me to be transferred to Ottawa to be closer to my family, considering that my time could be limited. At Ottawa, my oncologist became Dr.Verma. After some discussion, we decided to give the chemotherapy another try because this could be my best option. This is why I am currently in the Ottawa General Hospital receiving my 5 day chemo regiment. The word ‘interesting’ could be used to describe my journey, or perhaps ‘terrifying’ or ‘painful’, but I’d rather stick to ‘interesting’. I’ve had to find out what a blood transfusion is, and how it feels to have almost all of mine white blood cells eradicated. For the future, my greatest hope is to not feel the physical pain that I felt during the first two weeks. I don’t think I’m asking for a lot, I just don’t want to be in that much pain anymore. Anyways, I will keep you updated on what goes on medically and hopefully things turn for the better!

9 comments:

  1. Hey Venissa!
    Just last month, I thought back to Fireball last year and remembered when the bunch of us were all hectically getting ready in Miranda's room that evening. I looked at the picture we had taken and wondered why I hadn't seen you around this year. (And then I tried to creep you on Facebook to see what you'd been up to :P)
    I've been following your blog updates and I'm glad you've decided to share your journey with us. Goodness...I always write way too much!
    I didn't realize you're in Ottawa at the moment (I'm from Ottawa!) I thought you would've been in Waterloo if I remembered correctly?
    Anyhow, if you ever want to chat, we could maybe email?
    Feel better and stay strong :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jenny! Yah I remember Fireball! Oh the irony of the fire alarm going off haha. Yah, I used to live in Waterloo, but I'm in Ottawa right now. How's everything? Hope 2nd year's treating you well! Talk to you soon :)

      Delete
    2. Hey Venissa! Haha, Oh my...I had forgotten about that :P
      I had the weirdest dream the other night about how you replied to my comment and I just couldn't see what you wrote o_O
      Ahh...Ottawa's a nice city, but so cold! Especially this upcoming week D:
      Second year's been crazy, but I'm enjoying it, thanks!
      I don't know what you're up to during the day, but I love sending and receiving emails/letter that aren't just spam, so if you ever wanna email (or even snail mail) lemme know :)
      jennywang527@hotmail.com
      ...I'm pretty good with replying, promise!

      Delete
  2. Hey Venissa, we're in the same city now! Have you gone to see the Rideau Canal frozen over? I can see people skating on it from my window; it's so cool! I really enjoy reading your blog as well, thanks for doing this. Reading your writing brings me back to when we used to edit each other's essays for English. Mrs. Cunningham was the best English teacher by far. Happy Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Venissa! I heard about what happened from Sophie. How are you doing now? I hope everything turns out well, stay strong and know that your friends and family are here for you!
    Miss you!
    -Emily Fan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanissa,

    We have not yet met - a friend of mine on Facebook posted your blog, and I happened to click on it out of curiosity. After reading your entries, I would just like to let you know how touched I am by your strength. Your writing is beautiful, and your optimism makes me realize how much I have been taking my life for granted. I wish the best for you, and know that the world is there for you once you recover!

    Cheers,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. “I'd rather stick to 'interesting'" Only you, Venissa. Your words bring meaning to the lives of your readers. Keep writing, and we will keep praying for you.

    ReplyDelete