Thursday 19 December 2013

Me



     It’s tough. It’s tough at any stage of life. Cancer is something that happens in movies, in the news, maybe to someone that we know, but not to the people that we love, and certainly not us. Before we get it, we think we’re immune to it. We have some special ability to ward it off and gracefully avoid it when we can. As a 19 year old, it was certainly not in my plans. I just finished my first year of university and had just moved into an apartment with friends. I was so excited. In my first year of university, I was preoccupied with school work, so I rarely went out. And when I did, it was to the good old spot on the 13th floor of Robarts Library. But this was going to change. This year, I was going to have fun. I was going to experience life and be free for the first time in my life. Well, that didn’t exactly happen.
     I was diagnosed with metastasized stage 4 Ewings Sarcoma cancer. Fuck. Now what? I remember being calm in the emergency room when he came in and told me that I had cancer. He then told me that it was all over my body. He started to list off all the places that was sick and that was when I lost it.         
     This can’t be right. I was the basketball player. I was the lifeguard. I was the cross country runner. I was the skier. I was the tall and strong one. This isn’t me. This can’t be me. But it is. I have cancer.




8 comments:

  1. Hey Venissa! I'm so happy that you started a blog! I wasn't sure how to get in touch with you before but now I'm so happy that I finally can! I look forward to hearing from you and reading more posts. I hope everything is going well and that you're feeling better. Thinking of you and I miss you! - Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pamela! Hope everything's going well for you. Thanks for the comments :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Venissa! Thank you so much for starting this blog and sharing your journey. Your strength, courage and zest for life are an inspiration to me. Thinking of you and sending you lots of love and light! - Julie Snyder-Penner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs. Snyder-Penner! Hope your family has a great Christmas! :)

      Delete
  3. Hey Venissa~ powerful piece. You're really right. Only when it hits someone close and dear to us do we really grasp the idea of cancer and what it truly embodies and signifies. Wish you all the best, always~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Venissa! It's Lily, from Shad. I know we haven't kept much in contact since Shad and I am so happy that you started this blog so I may gather the chance to comment and reach out to you. I just read through all your posts and thank-you for showing me how you can be such a positive individual no matter what life hands you. You're truly inspirational. :) I am hopeful that we may have another Shad reunion with you present, all well and better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Venissa, you are still the tall and strong one. Especially strong! Anyone who has read through all your blog posts can testify to that! Keep writing! Your words can really touch people's hearts. Mine will be there for you, for every post you write, I will share and comment - and of course, I will continue to support you!

    ReplyDelete